Saturday, October 18, 2008

Theme of the week..."Stealing"

My goodness. What a week. It all began when the seven-year-old girl, who lives behind us, stole Caroline's ipod. It was an old Shuffle that Braeden gave her when he upgraded. She had her Disney songs on there. The ipod was in her bag, which was in the back yard. Isabelle is always climbing the wall to play with Caroline. So she told Caroline that she sold the ipod to her brother. When Caroline asked for it back, she said her brother wouldn't let her have it back. So, last Saturday I had to go to the front door and ask for the ipod that Isabelle sold to her brother for $20. They said they would return it when they found it. The ipod was returned by tossing over the back wall. We found it on Sunday in the grass of our backyard. This was, of course, after the sprinklers had washed it and there were no headphones. The real kicker is when one of the other neighbor kids said, "Well, she found it" to which I replied, "When you find it in Caroline's bag and in her backyard, it's stealing".

Let's go to Monday when Collin went to basketball practice after school and someone broke into his gym locker and stole his cell phone. I deactivated the phone and then looked up his records to see a call was made at 2:50, which was right in the middle of practice. Every time Icall the number it goes straight to voicemail. So I will continue to call 702-205-0263 everyday until somebody answers.

Okay. Wednesday is the worst because a child was stolen. Caroline's friend, Cole Puffinburger, was taken from his home because, it appears, his grandfather stole millions from a Mexican Drug Cartel. The police found gramps in California this morning, but still no sign of Cole. How do you explain this to a six-year-old child?

Just when you think things can't get worse in a single week the bank calls. "Did Thomas spend $466 in clothing at a store in Texas? And did he attempt to buy another $600 in clothes in NYC?" Tom hasn't spend that much on clothing in the past twenty years combined!!!! Shut down his card!!!! Luckily the bank became suspicious and didn't allow the $600 purchase, but we are out $466 for at least 10 days while they conduct a fraud investigation. Ugh!

At the end of the week I begin to wonder where I can find a cave to move my family for the rest of our lives, but then I remind myself of my many blessings. The person from the bank apologized for the money that was stolen from my account to which I replied, "That's okay because tonight all of my children are home and safe." I hung up the phone, read scriptures with my family and in our family prayers we expressed gratitude and prayed the Lord would bless and comfort Cole and his family. As this world becomes increasingly wicked I find peace in knowing I have the Gospel of Jesus Christ; I have the Priesthood; I have the Holy Ghost to comfort and guide my family. I am so richly blessed.

3 comments:

Melinda said...

I don't know if this is just a bad month or if the world really is declining as quickly as so many of us are seeing. It seems so simple to say "I know I'll be okay because I have complete faith in Jesus Christ" but it is so true. It's the only sure thing to hold on to in such ugly times. We are both blessed with wonderful husbands and precious children. We truly are blessed!

Galloping Grandparents (GG) said...

Well, things can't go anywhere but UP!! Do you want us all to call Collin's cell phone?? Actually, if you shut it down, they probably threw it somewhere. But there are still good people around and we have them in our family, for which we are thankful!!! As long as we are doing what we're supposed to be doing, it will be OK and you're specially blessed because we're here at the edge of the continent (as Karla said) trying our best to do our mission calling. Hopefully we're doing good enough so you can all get those blessings!!! Love you all----Grama and Grampa

Jolynn said...

The number on my blog is not Collin's number. It's the number that was called by the person who stole the phone. That person is the only link I have to finding the phone.