Monday, July 21, 2008

New York City!

Can you believe this is Central Park? Can you
believe I took this picture?
Jessica Elmer and I at Young Frankenstein!
Jackie, Cheri, Pam, Nicole and Jessica in front
of 2 of the billboards of shows we saw.

A early walk through the park with Nicole, Pam and Jackie.
The whole gang. Dinner at Bubba Gumps.

I just spent five fabulous days in New York City! Eight of us went to a Broadway Teachers Workshop where we learned much, ate much, played much and walked even more.



The workshop was incredible. It took place in the rehearsal rooms of the Hilton Theatre. I learned a dance from the dace captain of Young Frankenstein, and then watched her dance in the show. We met and learned from actors, composers, choreographers, music directors, writers, stage managers, casting directors from broadway shows such as Wicked, Legally Blonde, Rent, South Pacific, Spring Awakening, Grease, Phantom of the Opera and oh so much more. My favorites were composer Jason Robert Brown, Emma Hunton from Spring Awakening and Max Crumm who plays Danny in Grease. They all sang for us! I went home and downloaded Jason Robert Brown's song, "Someone to Fall Back On" it is soooo beautiful.



We saw five shows! Legally Blonde, Young Frankenstein, A Catered Affair, 39 Steps and South Pacific. They were all soooooo good. We also had the opportunity to go to the front the the theater after Young Frankenstein, a Catered Affair, and 39 Steps where we had a post show discussion with some of the actors, writers, managers, etc.. Harvey Fierstein was my favorite!



We had a backstage tour of the St. James Theatre with their stage manager and the stage manager of Phantom of the Opera. Very Interesting.



We also took in a few sights, went to the temple and spent a couple hours in Central Park, which isn't nearly enough!



It's great to be home. I missed my family, but after a few hours of bickering children, I was ready to go back!!!

7 comments:

Galloping Grandparents (GG) said...

WOW!!!! That's a trip worth taking!!!

Jen@eighteen25 said...

5 days... 5 shows. lucky girl.

let's go back. i'm ready too!

Marylin said...

How awesome! That sounds like such a great time! Oh and love the picture in Central Park!

lisa said...

5 shows, I am so jealous. Which one was Harvey Feinstein in? Central park looks beautiful.

Jolynn said...

He wrote and acted in A Catered Affair. It was so good, I cried!

Karla and Mike said...

Wow, what a great opportunity. That sounds like something I would love to do, even though I don't teach anything having to do with theater, but I think it sounds like loads of fun.
Karla

Brianna said...

That sounds like an amazing trip! Was that part of Hollywood Kids?

Sounds like you had a great education and an even better time!